Electrical safety is no joke nor is it a small job. Electrical Embassy are experts at helping you manage the risks associated with electrical appliances in the workplace.
A huge step in making sure all workplace appliances are safe is to have everything tested and tagged. Electrical safety code AS/NZS 3760:2010, specifies the standards that apply to electrical safety inspection and maintenance in the Australian workplace. Electrical equipment connected to electricity with a flexible chord, must be inspected at regular intervals to make sure you and your employees are safe.
Apart from the legal obligations of employers to have regular tests and tags completed, there are other important reasons to make sure you are up-to-date with electrical testing:
- As an employer YOU will be liable if someone is injured by an electrical appliance if appropriate testing and tagging have not taken place. An electrical injury can open a business up to legal action leading to high payments for damages relating to the injury.
- There are fines associated with breaches in workplace health and safety obligations which run into the thousands of dollars. In the event of an inspection it is imperative that your workplace is completely up to date with all electrical testing and tagging.
- An extremely important reason for timely electrical testing and tagging is insurance. Your property insurance and Workers Compensation Insurance may be at risk if testing and tagging obligations have not been met. It is the due diligence of an employer to have this work carried out.
- Knowing your electrical equipment has been thoroughly tested by an industry professional will give you peace of mind. It is not always possible to identify issues by sight. Once equipment is tested and tagged you can rest easy knowing it is safe to use.
- Electrical faults can go undetected without regular checks and these can lead to fire. Prevention is the key to avoiding fire and subsequent damage.
- Worker injury affects productivity and also morale. Best practice workplace health and safety creates a better performing workplace. Regular testing and tagging in accordance with the code will not reduce the risk of injury, it will protect your workplace from lower productivity.
- It is also important for staff morale to ensure that the workplace is safe and that you are seen to be taking care of all safety requirements. Happy staff means higher productivity and less staff turnover.
We can advise you on the specifics of the regime required for your equipment, and can carry out this service for you. For more information, contact Electrical Embassy on 07 3063 0739 today.