Is your split system air conditioner clean? Can you get sick from air conditioning?

At the peak of summer, when just walking to and from the corner store necessitates a shower and a change of clothes, air-conditioning can seem almost too good to be true. It is one of the few staples of modernity without severe and readily apparent downsides: All it does, or all it seems to do, is make things cooler, while generating a soft, lulling noise redolent of childhood afternoons spent indoors watching cartoons.

What’s the catch? How exactly are these things able to make us sick, like every other good thing in the world?

A number of biologists and occupational and health scientists have confirmed that air-cons can make you sick if mould and bacteria are allowed to build up in the system.  The solution is to regularly have your split system air conditioners cleaned.

The Electrical Embassy team are experts at split system air conditioner cleaning and maintenance, keeping your family and friends safe.

Leave home electrical to the experts

Home electrical work is a handy man free zone. The risks associated with carrying out your own repair job far outweigh the cost of getting a licenced professional in. While electricity is all around us in our everyday life, it can be extremely dangerous and even lead to hospitalisation or death if something goes wrong.

At Electrical Embassy we want to keep you and your family safe. We have the following suggestions to make sure no one gets hurt:

  • Use licenced electricians only! We cannot stress this enough. All work must be carried out by a licenced professional to not only keep you safe but to ensure you don’t void your home insurance policy.
  • Install safety switches. A safety switch will prevent your home circuits from being overloaded by cutting the power if there are any surges. You can test your safety switch which we recommend you do every three months.
  • If you’ve got children, we strongly suggest you child proof your home. There are a number of speciality products you can invest in at your local hardware store such as cover outlets, but you can also:
    • Secure cords
    • Unplug chargers not in use
    • No drinks around electrical appliances including game consoles and computers – spills and electricity do not mix!
  • Install smoke alarms and test them to make sure they’re working. You never know when disaster can strike and early warning is your family’s best chance at avoiding injury. Test your smoke alarms every three months and change the batteries once a year. Queensland Fire Service suggests (and advertises reminders!) for April 1st to change the batteries.
  • Water and electricity aren’t friends. Don’t leave hair dryers, straighteners, shavers or other bathroom appliances plugged in when you’re not in the room. Also don’t use them when you are wet!
  • If you get a shock from an appliance, isolate it. If it’s a high cost item, we suggest you get an electrician out to test it. Otherwise, replacing is the best option.
  • Don’t have enough power points? Please don’t piggy back double adapters. Either invest in a good quality power board with a safety switch or call us to install more power points for you.
  • During the winter months, make sure you keep a safe distance around heaters. Don’t leave soft furnishings, clothes or furniture too close as this creates a fire hazard.
  • If your appliance needs cleaning, turn it off and unplug it first. This will minimise the risk of electric shock if you bump the electrics the wrong way. Don’t forget, when unplugging, use the plug and don’t pull on the cord.
  • Want to drill a hole in the wall? Check for concealed cables. You can invest in tools to assist with this, but a good rule of thumb is don’t drill above light switches, power points or phone outlets.
  • When digging outside or climbing onto the roof, check for cables. You don’t want to accidentally put a shovel into the electrical line or put your ladder onto one either. Remember, look up and live, and dial before you dig.

For more information on keeping your home and family safe, contact Electrical Embassy today on 07 3063 0739.

 

 

Don’t skip the test, get it tagged

Electrical safety is no joke nor is it a small job. Electrical Embassy are experts at helping you manage the risks associated with electrical appliances in the workplace.

A huge step in making sure all workplace appliances are safe is to have everything tested and tagged. Electrical safety code AS/NZS 3760:2010, specifies the standards that apply to electrical safety inspection and maintenance in the Australian workplace. Electrical equipment connected to electricity with a flexible chord, must be inspected at regular intervals to make sure you and your employees are safe.

Apart from the legal obligations of employers to have regular tests and tags completed, there are other important reasons to make sure you are up-to-date with electrical testing:

  • As an employer YOU will be liable if someone is injured by an electrical appliance if appropriate testing and tagging have not taken place. An electrical injury can open a business up to legal action leading to high payments for damages relating to the injury.
  • There are fines associated with breaches in workplace health and safety obligations which run into the thousands of dollars. In the event of an inspection it is imperative that your workplace is completely up to date with all electrical testing and tagging.
  • An extremely important reason for timely electrical testing and tagging is insurance. Your property insurance and Workers Compensation Insurance may be at risk if testing and tagging obligations have not been met. It is the due diligence of an employer to have this work carried out.
  • Knowing your electrical equipment has been thoroughly tested by an industry professional will give you peace of mind. It is not always possible to identify issues by sight. Once equipment is tested and tagged you can rest easy knowing it is safe to use.
  • Electrical faults can go undetected without regular checks and these can lead to fire. Prevention is the key to avoiding fire and subsequent damage.
  • Worker injury affects productivity and also morale. Best practice workplace health and safety creates a better performing workplace. Regular testing and tagging in accordance with the code will not reduce the risk of injury, it will protect your workplace from lower productivity.
  • It is also important for staff morale to ensure that the workplace is safe and that you are seen to be taking care of all safety requirements. Happy staff means higher productivity and less staff turnover.

We can advise you on the specifics of the regime required for your equipment, and can carry out this service for you. For more information, contact Electrical Embassy on 07 3063 0739 today.

 

Light up your life for less

With electricity bills on the rise, we can do out bit for the environment while saving on our bills.

An average household can reduce their lighting costs by around 50% a year just by making the switch to the right light bulbs. When you consider that around 12% of the average household electricity bill is for lighting, you can see the savings adding up. This is even higher for commercial premises – between 20 – 40%.

LEDs are the way forward

As technology evolves, new products are hitting the market that will reduce not only your environmental footprint but your electricity bill. A huge game changer is LED bulbs.

LED bulbs are leading the way as energy efficient technology with benefits as soon as you swap from popular CFLs.

LEDs last about 10 times longer than CFLs and even longer than the traditional incandescent bulbs. An added benefit of this is it saves you the job of having to change bulbs all the time, which is particularly good if you have high ceilings or hard to reach lights. LEDs range in price depending on style from around $3 a bulb compared to $1.75 for incandescent but the LED will last for between 20,000 and 50,000 hours 5,000 to 10,000 hours for an incandescent.

Not only are they cheaper to buy in the long run, they will contribute to you saving money on heating and cooling because LEDs generate a small fraction of heat that CFLs and incandescent bulbs do. The lower heat emitted also makes them a great option for Christmas decorations as they reduce the fire risk when lighting up your home for the festive season.

But how do they work?

Light-emitting diodes (LED) are semiconductors. As electrons pass through the semiconductor, it turns into light. Compared to incandescent and CFL bulbs, LED lights are more efficient at turning energy into light. This is why less of the energy radiates from the bulb as heat and why they’re cooler when in use than incandescent and CFL bulbs.

A huge benefit of LEDs is they don’t just blow like CFLs or incandescent. As they age instead of burning out, they simply grow dimmer – running at 70% capacity for around 20,000 hours without you being able to see too much of a difference.

How do they look?

From a décor standpoint, LEDs are better for creating directional light. With a range of ‘light colours’ you can choose whether you want a cool or warm light in each room. They also remove the need for lamp shades and similar shading products – costing you less. LEDs also give you the option for indoor plants as the cold light they emit can assist in plant growth, which leads to a healthier home or office environment.

There are lots of different types of LED bulbs available. For help deciding the best product for your needs, just give us a call on 07 3063 0739 and we will discuss your options with you as well as what you need to install the technology in your home.